Paris Fashion School by PSL offers Master’s-level programs, summer school classes, as well as continuing education courses, and is developing doctoral-level research programs and will welcome its first incoming class in September 2017.
Varied and comprehensive creative fields in every professional domain in fashion and textiles.
Paris Fashion School by PSL will provide training in every fashion and textile profession (from hand-crafted garments to Haute Couture garments to clothing designed for industrial functions), and will address contemporary questions of production flow and marketing as well as concerns about the world of tomorrow by bringing together the expertise of its three partners. To accelerate the innovation process, its open and communicative approach blends research and training, multidisciplinary dialogue, and exploration of new creative fields.
Paris Fashion School by PSL is also developing – alongside its focus on fashion, experimental creation, and expertise – a department focusing on work and health. This field will address questions related to technical and organic fabrics, to intellectual considerations about the production and use of such materials, and issues of rights, standards, safety, and the organization of work.
All instruction will be provided in English.
The members of the Honorary Committee are chosen for the exceptional quality of their professional careers. References in their fields, they may come from the textile-clothing sector (Haute-Couture, designer, ready-to-wear, large retail, technical garments), artistic creation, science, marketing/management, or be business leaders, academics, or auteurs.
The Paris Fashion School benefits from the prestigious international networks of its three founding institutions and the whole of PSL.
The Paris Fashion School by PSL develops innovative projects with the support of fashion houses and companies in the form of partnerships.
An international course of the highest level, taught in English, will be offered beginning in the fall of the 2017-2018 academic year with a first matriculating class of a dozen students.
The 2-year course will combine workshops developing knowledge about the design and crafting of clothing and accessories and of materials/textiles; it will also address marketing, strategy, and business creation, manufacturing, law, and new materials.
Students will participate throughout the year in workshops with invited designers and creators around a specific fashion-world figure, each entering class having its own patron.
The course will include internships. The second year will mainly be focused on the student’s Grand projet (diploma project).
Coursework (60 ECTS/year)
Year 1 – Courses from September to June
September: Initiation week; Refresher workshops (collections, Pattern-making, textiles, materials, knitwear, software)
November: study tour (1 week)
Late April: start of 3-4 month internship
Fashion Creation Prism (40 ECTS)
- Development and realization of models and collections
- Development and elaboration of creative projects
- Garment production: industrial production and sourcing
- History of fashion
- Communication, visual identity, and branding
- Fashion studies
- Workshops led by invited fashion designers/creatives
- Trans-school module (students are invited to work on concrete projects in partnership with students at MINES ParisTech and Université Dauphine)
- Languages (FLE – French as a foreign language – or English)
- Textile culture
- Ennobling and know-how
- New materials/intelligent materials
Management Prism (8 ECTS)
- Introduction to strategy
- Financial Analysis and fundraising
- Retail and merchandising
- Business game – Markstrat
- Current consumer trends
Engineering Prism (8 ECTS)
- Connected objects
- 3D printing software
ELECTIVE COURSES :
- Jewelry/Hats (millinery workshop)
- Leather garments/Fur
4 ECTS are reserved for elective courses, workshops, Trans-Schools module and internships.
Year 2 – Courses from September to June
November: study tour (1 week)
June: Grand projet / Diploma project and internship
Fashion Creation Prism
- Coaching and monitoring of the creative project: presentation of the Grand projet/diploma project to the jury in June
- GRAND PROJET : Clothing design and pattern-making, Textile qualities, Colors and prints
- Workshop production, Performances and new functionalities
- Entrepreneurial project management
- Talent management (HR, organization, team management)
- Business model and innovative ecosystems
- Accompaniment of the Grand Projet/diploma project
The trans-schools module bring together students from the Master’s programs of the Paris Fashion School, MINES ParisTech, and the Master in Marketing & Strategy at Paris-Dauphine University. Working either on commissions or on a freer basis, a group project bringing together students from different backgrounds is conducted autonomously.
Synergies and transversalities
This foundational prism emanating from the original institutions – design, strategy, innovation – is consolidated by the wealth of technical workshops, unique in the world, offered transversally in the studio courses that students have access to at EnsAD: clothing design and production, but also materials, digital technologies, photography, scenography, graphic design, product design... Each student will have a personal workspace in which to develop their Grand Projet.
The end of the first year of study is dedicated to a 3-4 month internship.
A second internship at the end of the second year may be considered.
After the successful completion of the 2-year course of study, including final examinations and the Grand projet (60 ECTS per year), students will be awarded a degree from PSL-Ecole Nationale de Mode et Matière as well as national Master’s.
This program is open to students with a Bachelor’s degree (minimum 180 ECTS or equivalent) in fashion design. Prerequisites: design and realization of garments and accessories, as well as knowledge of the basic principles of textiles and materials.
Admission is through competitive entrance examination. The admissions process and conditions can be consulted on the website.
An application file must be submitted, including
the application form, a cover letter, a resume, a portfolio (20 digital images of collection plans and completed patterns/collections), two letters of recommendation, and proof of English-language proficiency (IELTS: 6,5; TOEFL iBT: 96/120) for non-native English speakers or a French-language test (DELF B2 or DALF) for non-native French speakers. One of the goals of the program being the personal development of the student-creators, the key element of the application will be the candidate’s creative project.
The school seeks applications from students from France, Europe, and around the world, with the aim of guaranteeing creative international emulation.
All instruction will be provided in English.
Admission / Tuition fees and Financing
This program is intended for graduates with a Bachelor's degree or (3 years of higher education, Bac+3 / 180 Credits or foreign equivalent) in fashion design.
The program is taught in English.
The required prerequisites are: the design and the realization of garments and accessories as well as knowledge of the basic principles of textiles and materials.
Dispensations can be granted to the candidates with proof of a high-level creative project, strengthened by a significant work experience.
All requests are to be sent to the director:
Monsieur le Directeur de l’EnsAD, 31, rue d’Ulm, 75005 Paris.
An application file must be submitted in complement of the administrative application, including:
the application form, a cover letter, a résumé, the copy of all the degrees obtained after high school graduation and their transcripts in fashion design (Bachelor degrees, etc including transcripts for 180 credits, with French or the international equivalent. Candidates must provide evidence of the accreditation authority in charge in their country), a portfolio (20 digital images of collection plans and complete patterns/collections), two reference letters, a proof of English-language proficiency (IELTS: 6,5; TOEFL iBT: 96/120) for non-native English speakers, a French-language test (DELF B2 or DALF) for non-native French speakers. One of the goals of the program being the personal development of the student-creators, the key element of the application will be the candidates’ creative project. The school seeks applications from students from France, Europe and the rest of the world, with the aim of guaranteeing creative international emulation.
Admission (first session)
The admission is through a competitive entry composed of three phases.
1 – Administrative enrollment for competition & Application file:
The enrollments for the competition are open from Friday 9th February 2018 to Wednesday 30th May, 2018 at 17h.
Candidates must complete the administrative application file on the competition’s portal: https://enamoma.ensad.fr
The application file enables candidates to:
- Enroll administratively in the competition:
The competition’s registration fees, fixed by order of the Ministry of Culture, are 52 € for non-scholarship students (Exemption from enrollment fees for the grant holders who have produced the proof, the notification of 2017/2018 scholarship, amount applicable to the grant holders of the European Union). The fees are kept by the School, even in the case of abandonment.
- Present one’s own creative universe, personal realization and previous experiences, professional skills and motivation : an application file (on line enrollment), a résumé, a notification letter, copies of previous degrees (French or international including the credit details obtained each year including the high school diploma or foreign equivalent and the proof of the accreditation of their higher education diploma), a book/portfolio (20 digital images of collection plans and realization of models/ collections), two references letters, a proof of English-language proficiency (IELTS: 6,5; TOEFL iBT: 96/120) for non-native English speakers or a French-language test (DELF B2 or DALF) for non-native French speakers
The candidates join the required documents to be studied for their eligibility. When the administrative registration is validated, the candidates receive an e-mail validating the consideration of their registration in the competition.
2 - Decision of eligibility after examination of the application file
Beginning of June 2018, candidates, enrolled administratively, receive by e-mail an answer validating or invalidating their application. They are then invited to be interviewed by a jury the 7th and 8th June 2018.
3- Presentation of complete application files / interviews by the jury
The recruitment’s juries are composed of members from EnsAD teachers, teachers from the university Paris-Dauphine and MINES ParisTech and professionals. The candidates participate either in face-to-face interviews or through a video connection according to a defined schedule previously communicated to eligible students.
Tuition fees and financing
Tuition fees amount to 15 000 € for the 2018/2019 academic year.
The tuition fees include:
• Instruction (conferences, workshops, Trans-Schools modules, design workshops)
• An English taught program
• The study trip (one week in November)
• The access to studios of creation, to materials and to supplies
• The costs of transport and accommodation in the case of outside visits
• The registration in 4th year of the Master's degree cycle of EnsAD (which corresponds to the 1st year of the EnaMoMa).
Scholarships covering 60 % of the full tuition fees can be applied for thanks to the support of PSL (Paris Sciences Lettres):
- A grant reducing tuition fees to 6 000 € for the European Union candidates.
- A grant reducing tuition fees to 433 € (registration fees in EnsAD fixed by ministerial decree for year 2017/2018) for the PSL Research university candidates.
- A grant reducing tuition fees to 0 € for the admitted candidates who are CROUS grant holders.
Scholarships offered by companies can be envisaged and substitute for PSL within the framework of partnerships.
The Paris Fashion School implements research processes and programs at the highest level, in a field that is nonexistent in France and scarcely developed internationally. Two axes are already underway with various partners :
1. Sensory design (seeing, smelling, touching, tasting, hearing) covers a field that is both broad enough to be interdisciplinary and specific enough to prefigure one of the specificities of the of the Paris Fashion School “by PSL”.
This expanding field calls upon transversal skills and knowledge stemming from design (product design, textile design, fashion design, stage design, graphic design, etc.), the experimental sciences and engineering (biology, physics, computer science, electronics, materials engineering), and the social sciences (economics, sociology, management science).
2. Comparative history and theory of fashion and materials: there are almost no structured research programs (or labs) in this field, in France or internationally, combining the many fields in the humanities, social sciences, or management sciences that could be included.
Students will also be able to orient themselves toward the PSL SACRe doctorate.
By launching a Summer School, the Paris Fashion School by PSL seeks to make its excellent creative resources available to an outside audience passionate about fashion: from beginners to advanced students, everyone will find in the Summer School a space to grow, pursue their passion, or find their career path.
Two Summer Schools are available this summer from 10.7.2017 to 13.7.2017 :
Registration for the Summer School
will begin on March 1, 2017.
To reserve your place, you need to :
1/ Complete the enrolment form (pdf) of the Summer School chosen and send it by mail or e-mail to
Ecole Nationale de Mode et Matière – 31 rue d’Ulm 75005 Paris ou laurence.piette(at)univ-psl.fr
2/ Join the registration fees for the Summer School :
By sending a check of an amount corresponding to 50 % of the total sum to " Monsieur l’Agent Comptable de l’ EnsAD ".
To obtain the RIB to make the transfer, please ask for it by e-mail to laurence.piette(at)unvi-psl.fr